Skip to main content

Success! Kind Of...

Ugh, my day job makes me want to finish this game as soon as possible so I can, maybe, make a living off of game development. I think to myself that maybe I won't enjoy it (you know, seeing how the sausage is made) but I know working for myself is a hell of a lot better than putting up with a gig I do not enjoy.

"Hello World!"
Today I had hoped to be further along on my game than I got. I have a feeling I might be typing that a lot as I progress along this path.

The main problem was that, for whatever reason, my Linux workstation would lock up when ever I tried to do some updates. This happened four or five times and I'm not sure what was going on.



Of course I was able to update my graphic driver to the newest version and that didn't mess me up. I had a huge problem with that on an Ubuntu/Unity install I was trying to do. Graphics driver would make the desktop fail to a terminal.

However, all was not lost. I was able to get my updates done and a little work done on my game. Well, mostly a "Hello World" program done using SDL2 and Code::Blocks.

Tomorrow I need to buckle down and get more done.

The native resolution for the game will be 1280x720. I think it's pretty safe to aim for a HD resolution in this day and age. I believe most Linux gamers have wide screen monitors now. If not I'll have to find a more elegant solution.

Some might balk at a 1280x720 resolution as being "low resolution" but I think it will be okay. The idea is to gracefully scale to a higher resolution with out physically changing the users display resolution. I know this is doable in SDL2 as I've done it before. I think scaling up will work with the somewhat retro feel the game will have.

Finally, I was thinking of doing a video of my progress once a week or so. But, I really don't want to start that until I have something to show. We'll see.

Comments

  1. Getting set up and started is half the battle. Good luck my friend Im looking forward to seeing the completed product.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#ppp day 18 #twomoon #Billings #Montana

via Instagram http://bit.ly/2khiboI

A painted rock found on the trail.

via Instagram http://bit.ly/2wwW8MH

Look what came in the mail today. #veterans #coffee

via Instagram http://bit.ly/2zaaVBw