Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Accelerated!

Pretty but not much to look at.
I'm not going to lie. I had a hard time getting into the project today as the thought of going over and rewriting stuff I'd done before did not appeal to me. I wasted a bunch of time doing "other stuff" until I forced myself to sit down and actually work on it. I was happy I did. Unfortunately I didn't get as far as I wanted too.

Live and learn, eh?



On the picture I posted above you can see the game (in the loosest sense of the word) running. I prettified the image I was using to make it more colorful. I even added an image of Link as an honorable mention of what inspired the game. Don't worry, this is all temporary artwork.

So, even though the image is static there is a lot going on behind the scenes.
  1. There is a proper game loop. It's not optimized at all. It's running at a bajillion frames per second but that's okay, I'm adding a timer in the near future.
  2. It's event driven. You can close the game by clicking the [x] in the upper right hand of the window or by pressing the [ESCAPE] key.
  3. The graphics are handed off to the GPU and are hardware accelerated.
  4. It has full screen/windowed mode functionality. Right now it's tied the #1 key on the keyboard but it does gracefully go from windowed mode to full screen mode and back. By gracefully it scales up to a full screen windowed mode. This way it doesn't take over the whole screen by setting a new resolution. This way works better because it's convenient way to alt+tab between other programs you might have running.
Right now near future goals are to implement timing in the game loop, start implementing a proper state machine for game states, get some sound and music going even if it's a silly song playing on this "title screen", redoing the "title screen" to be more game like and to get my Steam Controller hooked up so I can control stuff with the controller.

That's the near term at least.

With the addition of a finite game state machine I can start working on a new game/Load/Save screen. I'm still trying to figure out how to lay that out. I might take my cues from other games of the same genre.

I looked at but didn't add much to my design document. I need to start listing enemies and weapons. I think I'll do that tomorrow.

Right now though, I'm pretty happy with my progress even though I drug my feet today.

No comments:

Post a Comment