Skip to main content

Game Update 3: Tiny Little Dude - UPDATED

Ultima Style RPG
Never mind the programmer's art!
So, finally after wracking my head around seemingly simple problems, surviving Halloween and surviving the Elections I'm back with an update. Of course it's a good news, bad news update. But, with projects like these, it seems to be the norm.

The Good News
The good news is that I have my sprite class pretty much working. If you look at the picture above you'll see a little white knight among the tiled background. What the picture doesn't show you is that the little fellow is animated. There are four frames of animation and it seems to work pretty well.  In a way it's starting to feel like an Ultima style game.

The Bad News
It's true I've got an animated sprite and he is able to wander all around the map (he even walks on water) there are some coordinate problems that I'm trying to figure out. Right now I, for some reason, can't seem to get to all of the areas on the map. Seems to be some wort of invisible shield. Especially on the Y axis towards the bottom of the map.

Speaking of coordinates, I'm trying to get the little guy to be centered on the map when the program first starts but he is appearing close to the lower left corner of the map. Again I am trying to figure this out but I think it is (as with the problem on the top) a problem with how I'm translating the map coordinates with the screen coordinates. Once I move the guy he seems to straighten out and the coordinates seem to work fine. I'm sure with a little diligence I'll be able to figure this one out.

For some reason my program is mangling the stack. It started when I implemented some of the sprite class. I think I have some pointers that are not playing nice but I'm not sure yet. The program runs fine but crashes out when I exit the program. Once I figure out the coordinate problem above I'll start working through this problem. Working with the debugger is a necessary evil but it's such a pain in the butt.

Once I figure out the two problems above I'll see about posting a video showing what I have in action. After getting the sprite class to work I'll work on getting it to move in 32 pixel increments and stopping instead of it constantly going when I hold a key down. After I get that figured out it'll be moving around with the mouse and then into separating things into overworld, town, castle dungeons and etc.

Looking at it there doesn't seem like a lot of progress but right now I'm pretty stoked. I do have a character moving about on the screen and I'm pretty excited about that...crashes and all.

Looks like I fixed the crashing problem. It was as simple fix that was pretty hard to find. It turns out I was trying to delete the same memory object twice. What a silly bunt.


Popular posts from this blog

#ppp day 39.

via Instagram

Awww, poor trail.

#ppp day 18 #twomoon #Billings #Montana

via Instagram